Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie and Birthday Cake


Brian:  Well today was a very special day.  First of all, we celebrate the great mothers in our life,
Happy Birthday Andrea!
and I'm fortunate to have a great mom.  My wife is also a wonderful mother to our children, and for that I feel very blessed.  But, this is also the birthday for our oldest daughter Andrea.  It is only the strength of a father's love that allows me to make such a foul pie on pie day.  I am not a pecan pie fan.

Mixing the Ingredients


Angie:  I have the greatest mom ever and it was so nice to be able to spend the day with her today. We make birthdays a big deal in our house, starting with breakfast in bed, but we also try to make the entire day special.  Pecan pie is Andrea's favorite, so it only seemed fitting to make it today.



Brian:  As I am not a fan of pecan pie, I largely was just a runner this morning.  The funny thing is that I like pecans, I just don't care for the filling.  My daughter is the exact opposite, shunning the nuts for the filling and crust.  I will say this though, I did find the making of this pie quite fascinating.

A new pie pan from my mom!


Angie:  I started as always with the crust.  I did make one cardinal sin, by using 1/2 margarine and 1/2 butter.  The crust recipe always states to stick with butter only, but it seemed to turn out okay. While the crust was baking, I started putting the ingredients together.  It is actually pretty easy to assemble ingredients.  Outside of beating the eggs and melting the butter, you combine all of the ingredients together, with the exception of the pecans.



Pecans on Bottom Before Fill
Brian:  This was the part I found so interesting.  You actually put the pecans on the bottom of the crust, and then pour the mixture on top.  The nuts simply ascend to the top.  I guess it makes sense, but I was just picturing baking the filling, and then toasting the pecans under the broiler.  I was wrong, they cook the entire time.

Angie:  I really liked this pie!  The aroma of it cooking filled the house and made it hard to wait for it to cool before taking a bite.  The crust wasn't my best but the filling was so very good.

Brian:  Since everybody was raving about the pie and how this was "real" pecan pie, I decided to give it a try.  And I'm happy to tell you... I still hate it!  Yuck!  :)

Pie with Pecans Before Baking




Pie of the Week Recipient 

is my high school (even back to middle school!) friend Abi.  It was so nice to re-connect with Abi on Facebook over the last few years.  I knew we'd be in my hometown for mother's day and I really wanted to get to see her again.  This was the first time we've seen each other in, ahem, something like exactly 29 years.  Abi and her son Logan were very welcoming to me and 2 of my kids that tagged along.  It just so happens that she is having dinner with another former classmate tomorrow evening, and has told him that the dessert is being provided by me.  It is nice when things like that work out.  :)



Me and My Friend Abi


Recipe (From Pioneer Woman, though I use my own crust recipe)


Ingredients
  • 1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust (I Use "sylvia's Perfect Pie Crust" Recipe
  • 1 cup White Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Corn Syrup
  • 3/4 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1/3 cup Melted Butter (salted)
  • 3 whole Eggs, Beaten
  • 1 cup (heaping) Chopped Pecans

Preparation Instructions

First, whip up your pie crust using "Sylvia's Perfect Pie Crust" found on Tasty Kitchen.
Next, mix sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla together in a bowl.
Pour chopped pecans in the bottom of the unbaked pie shell.
Pour syrup mixture over the top. Cover top and crust lightly/gently with foil. Bake pie at 350º for 30 minutes. Remove foil, then continue baking for 20 minutes, being careful not to burn the crust or pecans.
NOTE: PIE SHOULD NOT BE OVERLY JIGGLY WHEN YOU REMOVE IT FROM THE OVEN. If it shakes a lot, cover with foil and bake for an additional 20 minute or until set. Required baking time seems to vary widely with this recipe. Sometimes it takes 50 minutes; sometimes it takes 75!
Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Serve in thin slivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment