Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Heath Bar Pie

Heath Bar Pie


Brian:  Well, as it was Father's Day, I was given the day off in pie baking.  I'm assisting with the
blog, and I took pictures, but I did little else today.

By the slice



Angie:  Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband and fantastic father of our 3 children!!  I needed to make three pies today, to help take care of three great fathers, and I found a recipe that could be used to make any kind of candy bar recipe.  So if you don't like Heath bars, try snickers, or whatever your pleasure might be!  It calls for a graham cracker crust, so no crust to make, and it was a really simple pie to assemble.

Want a bite?

Brian:  My mother-in-law sells real estate in Bloomington, IN, and they have had their "Parade of Homes" the last two weekends.  I always help my mother-in-law for this event, so I was out of the pocket much of the day.  Angie got up this morning and whipped it together.



Beat until creamy

Angie:  This is an extremely easy pie to make.  You mix together the powdered sugar and softened cream cheese first until smooth.  Next you add the vanilla and cool whip, and then you stir in the candy pieces.  Pour it into a graham cracker pie shell, top with reserved candy pieces and voila!  You just have to place it in the refrigerator for the pie to set up.

Fold in the candy

Brian:  I actually tried to do something new, and I've posted a couple of videos with the Vine application.  If you have never heard of it, it allows you to easily record 6 second videos, and easily post them to Facebook and Twitter.  Here is the first video and you can view the second one as well.  Tell us what you think.  Would you like to see more Vine videos in the future?

Gets an 8 inch shell very full

Angie:  I really liked this pie.  The base recipe reminds me a lot of a dessert my mother in law taught me to make, banana torte.  I used the Heath pieces that you find near the chocolate chips at the grocery store.  I like that they weren't rock hard like the actual candy bars.  This is a very rich pie!!

Really comes out in nice pieces if you chill


Brian:  The taste for this pie was just okay for me.  I love Heath bars, so I enjoyed that part of the pie.  I also dig a graham cracker crust.  However, the filling was just a little too "cream cheesy"for me.

Pie Recipients of the Week

Nelson and Brian

We have two great fathers we are paying tribute to today.  Brian's father, Nelson, is pictured with him above.  It is difficult to imagine a better father than Nelson.  He has always been a part of his kids and grandkids lives and he is just such a good person.  He's the kind of guy who would help you if you are stranded on the side of the road, and our youngest has affectionately dubbed him the nickname "Pappy."  We love you, Happy Father's Day!

John

Our second pie recipient is John.  He has been a great father figure for Angie and our children as well.  A very positive and generous man who truly enriches our lives with his presence.  John has really encouraged us to continue with our blog and to even write a book!  His favorite candy growing up was Heath Bars and this was the inspiration for today's pie.  We are so fortunate to have these two men in our lives, and we salute all of the great fathers today!

Recipe

Ingredients
1  Ready made graham cracker pie crust
2 pkg  (8 oz.) cream cheese softened
1   (8 oz.) container of frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 C   powdered sugar
1 tsp  vanilla extract
1 pkg  (8 oz.) Heath bar baking chips reserving 1/2 C for topping.

Directions
Beat together the 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 packages softened cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.   Mix in 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 8 oz. container of whipped topping.  Fold in candy pieces with a rubber spatula.  Pour into prepared graham cracker crust and spread smooth.  Top with reserved 1/2 C candy pieces and chill in refrigerator for 2 or more hours.  Serve chilled.









No comments:

Post a Comment