Monday, November 11, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Buttermilk Pie

Buttermilk Pie

Brian:  I have to admit, buttermilk pie does not sound like the tastiest of pies.  I mean if you are speaking of buttermilk biscuits, or buttermilk pancakes, I am on board.  But buttermilk pie?

Buttermilk 

Angie:  For me I associate buttermilk with richness, so I had high expectations of this pie.  Brian's cousin Susan mentioned how much her son likes it, so let's get this pie started!

Butter, a good start to any pie!

Brian:  This is a pretty simple pie to make.  You literally combine all of the ingredients together, except for the nutmeg, and bake.  I started by softening the butter in the microwave.

Smooth like butter

Angie:   Add the sugar and 4 eggs.

Eggs and sugar

Brian:  The recipe calls for 3 tbsp of flour.

Add your flour and pinch of salt

Angie:  Add a pinch of salt and a tsp. of vanilla, whisk the ingredients together, and you are ready to go!

Vanilla

Brian:  Just pour your mixture into your pie shell, and it is time to bake.

Add to pie shell

Angie:  Put the pie in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.  Watch this pie though, we probably should have taken ours out a bit sooner.

Emilee giving her thumbs up

Brian:  This pie was really, really fantastic.  My mom has always made a dessert called "Mary's Marvelous Mess," which is part brownie and part cake.  It is very similar to what Paula Dean calls a gooey butter cake, and this is the pie version of that dessert.

Side View

Angie:  This pie was amazing.  I loved the texture and the flavor.  I'm telling you, it is GOOD!!

Delicious pie!

Pie Recipient of the Week


Our Pie of the Week Recipient is Scott Thomas.  The entire time I have worked at ExactTarget, I've existed somewhere on his team, and he is the Director of the Global Product Enablement team I work on now.  He has a great wife, two kids, and one on the way.  We are happy to send a pie his way.

Recipe (From a shared Facebook Recipe)

BUTTERMILK PIE:
1/2c buttermilk
1 3/4c sugar
2 large eggs
3tbsp flour
pinch of salt
1 stick butter
1tsp vanilla
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400°. Mix everything together and pour into an unbaked 9" pieshell. Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg. Bake 15min. Reduce oven to 350° and bake 45min. Watch the crust and add a pie guard or foil to prevent crust from burning.  Cool to allow filling to set.




















No comments:

Post a Comment