Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Lemon Meringue Pie



Brian:  Angie and I are going to try and both contribute to the blog, so you will see cues to know who is talking.
Angie:  Pie crust, you and I are not yet friends.  I start this post with the feeling of pie crust still beneath my fingernails… 
We worked on making pie crust from scratch today.  I hope we are still friends after.   I prefer to buy the refrigerated pre-made and rolled crusts for a double crust pie or a frozen crust for a single crust pie.  I know that a homemade crust would taste better, I’ve just never been able to get one to work.  Today is no different from all the others.

Brian:  I’ve finally found something that irritates my wife more than me… pie crust.
Angie:  We found a recipe that was “easy” gathered all the ingredients and went to work on it.  The dough totally fell apart as I was trying to roll it out.  I did get one of the three to work with our first recipe.  Today we are making two pies so I needed two.  I went to the freezer and found a single frozen crust and then thought, no, you will not beat me today pie crust!  Brian had another recipe given to him by a friend so we pulled out the food processor and started another batch.  We were able to get one more crust out of the double batch we ended up making.  We have another recipe we will try next time… you will not get the best of me flaky, delicious, pie crust!

Brian:  The biggest thing I am learning about pie crust, is that there is this line of overworking the dough.  Once you cross it, there is no turning back.  I have also learned what pie crust ingredients are.  It reminds me of the first time I found out how gravy is made, which includes a healthy dose of fat (butter or grease.)  Pie crust is made of a disturbing amount of Crisco.
Angie:  Our pie this week is lemon meringue.  Between making the crust and completing the pies, I took our youngest daughter to a birthday party and our son to the tuxedo rental place to get his order in for prom this year.  My first baby going to prom.  I really hope he doesn’t mind me tagging along ;)  Back to pie…  Brian made the filling while I was out.  
Brian:  I noticed the filling wasn’t turning yellow, which is what I’m used to seeing in the dessert case.  But after pondering the ingredients, it makes sense.  The zest of lemons is yellow, but the juice and the rest of the ingredients are not.  We added a couple of drops of food coloring to make it more yellow, but using food coloring makes me feel like we cheated.  Please, don’t judge me.
Angie:  I love lemon meringue pie.  The wonderful scent of lemon while zesting and juicing the lemons reminds me of summertime, which it is not right now.  I made the meringue when I got back and mmm…  it looks so good.
Brian:  It is always fun to learn new things, but if we are going to make pie crust from scratch, I think we need to investigate making it the day before.  Once we get the art down (and when I say “we”  I am referring to Angie,) we can perhaps add it back into our day.  Right now it is taking quite a long time.  
We’ve decided to keep a pie and give away a pie each week.  Our pie recipient this week, Christy, is a dear friend and neighbor.  I hope she likes it and can overlook the mess I made of the crust.


What should next week’s pie be?  Do you know someone that deserves a pie?

Who we are

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white sugar                                               1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour                         2 lemons, juiced and zested
3 tablespoons cornstarch                                    4 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt                                                 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
2 tablespoons butter                                            4 egg whites
                                                                              6 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1.        Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.        To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
3.        To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
4.        Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Ingredients
1-1/2 cup Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
3 cups All-purpose Flour
1 whole Egg
5 Tablespoons Cold Water
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Salt
Preparation Instructions
In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter, gradually work the Crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it’s still a good idea to put in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.)
When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.
With a spatula, lift the dough carefully from the surface of the counter into the pie pan. Gently press the dough against the corner of the pan. Go around the pie pan pinching and tucking the dough to make a clean edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment