Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Blackberry Pie

Blackberry Pie


Brian:  This week has been really fun. People from our Life Group helped deliver pies last week, and lots of the stories came trickling in.  One of the members of our group told me "I can understand why you do this each week!  It is so fun to see their reaction and surprise when you give them the pie!"  I'm glad they had fun, and I hope we can do some group pie giveaways in the future.  If we have inspired to give away a pie, we would love to hear and share your story.

Blackberry Pie Ingredients

Angie:  Brian was travelling on Sunday, so I performed this week's baking duties.  We have been tossing around the idea of making a blackberry pie for quite sometime.  We went to purchase fruit from Anderson Orchard, this time in the way of frozen fruit.  I tried to find some Marion Blackberries, in order to avoid the seeds, the order form Anderson's uses said they were Marion Berries, but the package didn't.  I will say that these blackberries did just fine though, 

You simply mix together your blackberries, sugar, and pie filling.  Since we have made so many fruit pies, I'm able to start creating recipes as I go now, which is how I like to cook.  :)   I really like to throw a little of this and that in and never seem to make things the same way twice.  It's one thing I've had to work on since we started the blog for sure!!

Blackberries and Sugar

Angie:  This is a pie that thickens as you cook it in the oven, so after combining ingredients, the next thing you do is add it to the pie shell.

Blackberries and Filling added to pie shell

Angie:  Where I really had some fun with this one is in the design of the pie crust.  With Brian gone, I opted to go with a store bought crust to save time.  However, I used my new fluted pastry cutter I found on a trip to Homegoods.   Love Love Love it!

Crust Preparation


Angie:  Overall, the pie turned out well, but I did have one of the pies fall, and I had to institute some repairs.

Crust Catastrophe!

Brian:  I got a chance to taste the pie when I came home, and it was delicious!

Fun crusts to make

Angie:  This pie had great flavor and thickened up really nicely.

Want a slice?

Pie Recipient of the Week


Our Pie Recipient of the week is Dr. Henderson!  She has been the Pediatrician for all three of our kids, and she has been an unbelievable blessing to us.  So many of our friends have children who go to her, and love her like we do.  Based on the picture she sent us... they are enjoying it.  :)

Recipe

4 cups of frozen blackberries (keep frozen so they will hold their shape)
1 21oz can of blackberry pie filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
3 T cornstarch
1/2 t almond extract
1 double pie crust

Mix together all ingredients in a bowl.  Pour in to pie crust and top with the other crust.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.














No comments:

Post a Comment