Monday, August 26, 2013

A Pie Per Week: Brown Sugar Pie

Brown Sugar


Brian:  Before we get to today's pie, I just want to thank folks for all of their wonderful suggestions.  We have been given a really cool recipe for a "soda pie" and another reader has suggested we make a savory pie.  We plan on making both, and would love to hear more!


Brown Sugar


Angie:  We got off to a bit of a tough start because we had not purchased enough brown sugar.  Fortunately my good friend Christy's cabinet came to the rescue, and we were well on our way.


Mix eggs and brown sugar


Brian:  I was chief baker on this pie, but this is as straightforward a pie as you can get.  You mix together your brown sugar, flour, salt, eggs, vanilla, and whole milk.  


Add Milk


Brian:  Once you have mixed it all together, you just need to add to the pie shell.  We doubled the recipe, but it actually made enough for 3 pies.


Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell


Brian:  The pie has the shiniest texture I have yet to see on a pie.


A shiny, shiny pie


Brian:  Though I was the primary mixer of ingredients, where Angie really helps me out a ton, is to determine when a pie is ready to come out.  With a cake or brownie, you can always do the "toothpick test."  If you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean, you are good.  With a pie, you have to use what I call the "jiggle test." If the pie is jiggling when you move it, it still has time to bake.


Surface will rise when baking


Angie:  The recipe called for 30 minutes, and we ended up cooking these for over one hour.  Now, we were cooking three pies instead of one, and I've found that to make a difference.  All ovens cook differently, and some have dead spots, so just be sure to check your pies and make adjustments as needed.


We had enough for 3 pies


Brian:  I really enjoyed this pie.  It is very reminiscent of pecan pie, which I don't care for, but yet I liked this one.  The major difference, other than not having pecans, is that this pie was not buttery sweet.  I like sweet, and I like buttery, I just don't like that combination together.  It is the same reason I can't stand butter on my pancakes.  As a matter of fact, I would love to add pecans to this and try it, because I love pecans!


Brown sugar pie close-up

Angie:  I only wish I'd had some vanilla ice cream to top this pie off!!  We will definitely make this one at Thanksgiving with pecans.

Brian:  Stay tuned to next week's blog.  We will be celebrating our anniversary, so who will be filling in?

Recipients of the Week



Our pie recipients of the week are Tony and Wendy.  Wendy is Angie's cousin, and Angie works in Tony's dental practice.  They have a wonderful family, they are very generous, and just people who you enjoy being around.  Wendy has been a great encouragement, often telling Angie that she has the "family touch" when it comes to cooking.  They have three great boys, and Nolan below appears to be enjoying the pie for breakfast.



Recipe

1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
3 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
5 Tbs. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole milk

In a large mixing bowl combine ingredients in order given.  Pour into pie shell.  Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 30 minutes.








No comments:

Post a Comment