Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Pie Per Week: Key Lime Pie


Brian: When you live in Indiana, you know you are going to have to endure some colder temperatures and snow.  However, this has been a particular harsh winter with inches of snow in the double digits and temperatures that begin with a minus symbol (-.)  I catch my self listening to Jimmy Buffett and drifting to the Florida Keys in my mind.  And when you are in the Florida Keys, nothing tastes better than some Key Lime pie.


Angie:  I went to several stores looking for key limes or key lime juice.  Everyone had regular lime juice, but I needed key lime juice because the flavor is different.  Key limes are more aromatic and intense in flavor.  Before we started blogging, we made a key lime pie, and freshly squeezing the juice is a pretty time consuming task because they are so small and thin skinned they are most difficult to squeeze into juice.  I was unlucky finding key lime juice, I was lucky in finding key limes.  :)


Brian:  I got the lucky task of juicing the limes.  The recipe only calls for 1/2 C, but since we make two pies, I needed a full cup of key lime juice.  I squeezed the entire bag and I was only at 3/4 C.


Brian:  Fortunately, we had one regular lime at the house, and that seemed like a better decision than running back out to the store.  Fortunately, that lime provided the exact amount of juice I needed.


Angie:  The juicing of the limes, if you go that route, is really the only difficult part involved with this pie.  You get started by combining your cream cheese and condensed milk.


Brian:  Next you add your lime juice.  Freshly squeezed for those of you who truly care about your pie.  :)


Angie:  Continue mixing until all is blended smoothly.


Brian:  Next, you pour your ingredients into your graham cracker crust.


Angie:  You'll want to smooth out the filling, and we found this filled the pie shell very full.


Brian:  After you have smoothed out your pie, you need to let this pie sit refrigerated for at least 4 hours.  We chose to let it set up over night.



Angie:  I'm not a key lime pie fan, I did take a taste and it was very key limey ;)


Brian:  I love key lime pie, so it is no surprise that this was a big hit for me.  I do find that I am more drawn to the tart versions, but that would not have been popular in my house.  My thanks to my friend Michelle who provided the recipe.

Pie Recipient of the Week

Our pie recipient of the week is Greg.  Greg is a gentleman who works in the same building as Brian, and they routinely greet each other with talk of local sports.  If Jim Irsay would simply add Brian and Greg to his weekly conversations, an annual SuperBowl win is certain!

We've delayed this post as Greg has not been able to send the photo, but once we get it, we will update it.

Recipe

Easy key lime pie

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1/2 c. key lime juice
1 graham cracker pie crust

In a mixer or food processor, mix cream cheese and condensed milk. Add 1/2 cup key lime juice. Pour mixture into graham cracker crust. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.













No comments:

Post a Comment